In the book “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People,” Stephen R. Covey talks about the importance of knowing what you want in life.
Covey talks about the idea that life is meant to be lived out intentionally. It’s not meant to be left up to chance.
More often than not though, this is what most people tend to do.
Most kids in college for example go to school without ever knowing what they’re doing there.
They haven’t seem to have given the slightest thought about what their ideal life would look like.
As a result, they go about each day waiting until someone tells them what they should do next.
They’re unaware. They have no direction. And they have no goals.
Just a year ago, I felt like this. Not sure what I wanted to do with my life and because of this, not doing anything with my life.
As a result, I started considering what I wanted my life to look like. So I decided to take a different approach and to think every day about who I eventually want to become.
The benefit of knowing what you want in life is that you start seeing opportunities all around you to then act on what you want.
This allows you to act on your goals faster and to take the shorter less conventional routes.
What would have taken you 10 years to accomplish now only takes you one year because you know whose advice to take, what opportunities to say yes to, and what information is important for you to learn.
So here’s my list of 50 things that I want to do (and will do) with my life in the next 20 years.
(If it’s bolded, that means I’ve achieved it.)
1) Publish a book
2) Run a marathon
3) Appear in a magazine
4) Start a non-profit organization
5) Get married
6) Become a dad
7) Start a podcast where I interview authors about the books they’ve written
8) Write for Inc/Entrepreneur magazine
9) Give a TED talk
10) Learn photography as a hobby
11) Travel the world for an entire year
12) Own a tailored suit
13) Mentor someone
14) Attend a Game 7 Dodger World Series
15) Attend a Raider Super Bowl
16) Work at Vaynermedia for 3 years
17) Start my own business
18) Teach an online course
19) Have one of the most popular book clubs on the internet
20) Own a Lamborghini
21) Hire/Employ someone
22) Own a house with a library in it
23) Fly first class
24) Become an investor
25) Exercise regularly
26) Attend a gala ball
27) Do something to payback my parents for raising me
28) Meet the President
29) Speak at a company who would have never hired me
30) Read at least 500 new books
31) Create a source of residual income, not passive income
32) Have someone tell me I’ve changed their life
33) Become a LinkedIn ‘Top Voice’
34) Swim in The Great Barrier Reef
35) Learn to become a morning person
36) Learn to not regularly stay up late
37) Tip a waiter $100
38) Have a restaurant where I can go to and say, “I’ll have the usual.”
39) Win a business award
40) Learn to constantly try to disprove my opinions by looking at the other side
41) Experience a white Christmas
42) Teach my kid to be a Dodger fan
43) Consult with someone’s business
44) Propose in a way that’s completely original
45) Buy my dad an original authentic Jackie Robinson jersey
46) Buy my mom the kitchen of her dreams
47) Be published by a big name publication website
48) Drink a $1,000 bottle of wine
49) Meet Gary Vaynerchuk
50) Be someone who is known for talking about good ideas
Well there’s my list. This was a list that was very hard to create because it really forces you to think about what you really want from life.
But I know because I created this list, it’ll make my life better. I recommend you do the same. If you do, then please let me know about it, I would love to read it.